This Week’s Meeting (Oct 10, 2017)
- On Tuesday, October 10, we will meet at the community center at 6:00 p.m.. For our program, we will finalize details for the chicken barbecue, and hear a short update from police chief Kary Kinmonth.
- Arnie Hart will prepare food. The first 15 people to arrive will get a meal. The cost is $7.00.
Last Week’s Meeting (Oct 3, 2017)
- The One Rotary Summit replaced last week’s club meeting. Ten members of our club attended the summit. Fifteen different clubs were represented that evening. The topics discussed were Membership, Foundation and Public Image.
- The annual chicken barbecue will take place on Sunday, from 11:00 – 1:00. Every member has been assigned a job for the day. See the list for your assignment: chicken bbq assignments. If you wish to change your assignment, or if you have questions, please contact Marian Hart [firstname.lastname@example.org; 563-299-4678].
- How are ticket sales? To reach our goal of making $6000 from the barbecue, we depend on each member selling at least 20 tickets.
- Did you know that, of the $320 annual dues paid by each club member, approximately $77 goes to RI dues, $37 to D6000 dues, and $100 to the Rotary Foundation? That leaves about $106 for our club.
- Did you know that October 24 is World Polio Day? Did you know that there were 350,000 cases of polio in the world in 1985, when Rotary started the campaign to rid the world of polio? Now there are 11 cases this year. See the following link for more on polio: https://www.endpolio.org/.
- Rotary’s motto is “Service Above Self.” The six areas of focus for Rotary service are: 1) Peace and conflict prevention/resolution, 2) Disease prevention and treatment, 3) Water and sanitation, 4) Maternal and child health, 5) Basic education and literacy, and 6) Economic and community development.
- We have ordered “I Can Read” DVDs and will give one to each child in preschool in West Liberty. Did you know that I CAN READ, Inc. is located in Coralville, Iowa? Here is a link to their website: http://icanreadsongs.org/. There are testimonies from Rotary clubs at their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/ICanReadSongs/.
- When you are responsible for arranging a program, please inform the club president at least one week in advance about the presenter and content of the program. The club president will then inform the editor of The Ringer.
Programs and Events Oct 3 One Rotary Summit in West Liberty Oct 10 Bob Cline Oct 15 Chicken Barbecue Oct 17 Chicken Barbecue Recap Oct 24 Ken Donnelly Oct 31 Noon meeting: Conrad Gregg Nov 7 Deepak Giri Nov 14 Marian Hart Nov 21 Jim Keele Nov 28 Noon meeting: Cindy Mays Dec 2 Rotary bell ringing for Salvation Army Dec 5 Bill Koellner Dec 12 Jodi Kelly Dec 19 Christmas Party Dec 20 Packing food boxes for distribution Friday & Saturday Dec 22-23 Distribution of food boxes Feb 17 Grant Management Seminar in WL Mar 8-10 NCPETS in Rochester Mar 24 District Training Assembly in Newton Apr 12-14 District Conference @ 5 different locations Jun 24-27 RI Convention in Toronto