This Week’s Meeting (Sept 5, 2017)
- On Tuesday, September 5, we will meet at the community center at 5:45 p.m..
- There will not be any food. This meeting is open to the public. The topic is Braking Traffick, a program by Family Resources. This will be an evening of learning and discussion of human trafficking in Iowa: what everyday people can do; what makes a person vulnerable to human trafficking; forms of control used by traffickers; elements of human trafficking laws.
Last Meeting (Aug 29, 2017)
- Mitch Kelly, professor at UI, spoke to us about his work, and how travel (to teach abroad) has impacted him during the past eight years.
- Tickets for the chicken barbecue were distributed to members present.
- WL Volunteer Fire Department fundraiser: train ride WL-Durant-WL. Saturday, September 30. Adults $16. Children (3-10) $8. Tickets at Fred’s Feed, US 6 Bodyworks, Ron Alpen Ford, WL State Bank, MWOne Bank
- Our club will sell ice cream (Yotty bars) at the depot.
One Rotary Summit
- Register for One Rotary Summit, which will replace our regular meeting on October 3. The summit will run from 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. Food will be provided. No cost. Advance registration is required for purposes of planning food. Three ways to register: 1) through the D6000 website; 2) e-mail Carolyn Scharff at dis6000admin@Lisco.com; 3) Call Carolyn at 877-976-8279.
- You will learn new things about Rotary and meet Rotarians from other clubs in the district.
- We would like to have a presence at the Children’s Festival on Saturday, September 16. If you would be willing to volunteer a couple of hours to be at a Rotary booth and lead a children’s activity/game, please click on the following link and insert your name at the time you are willing to work: https://docs.google.com/document/d/15wob3veExjEHesajDQfiug2Clrd7Rk_7Ek3xyFAJRhs/edit?usp=sharing
- We also plan to sell Yotty bars at the depot on Saturday, September 30 for the WL-Durant-WL train ride. Please click on the following link and type in your name if you are willing to help sell ice cream bars on September 30: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1rFT9vMnrESsyCnid4XSbL6HQhpGQy1ljgciBi3a_ATo/edit?usp=sharing
- The Ringer will not be published between September 7 – 28, unless someone volunteers to take on this responsibility for this period of time. Please let Anna Hanson know if you are willing to write and publish the Ringer in September.
- Have you sold any tickets yet?
- When you are responsible for arranging a program, please inform the club president at least one week in advance about the presenter and content of the program. The club president will then inform the editor of The Ringer.
|Programs and Events|
|Aug 22||Luncheon for school staff, at the WLHS cafeteria|
|Aug 22||District Governor Visit|
|Aug 29||Noon meeting: Speaker from the UI Education Department|
|Sept 5||Public meeting: Braking Traffik: a presentation about human trafficking in Iowa. Followed by a board meeting.|
|Sept 12||Nancy Knight-Barr|
|Sept 16||Children’s Festival and Fiesta Latina|
|Sept 19||Jim Carey|
|Sept 26||Noon meeting: Jason Cassady|
|Sept 30||Train ride WL-Durant-WL|
|Sept 30||Rotary Leadership Institute in Iowa City|
|Oct 3||One Rotary Summit in West Liberty|
|Oct 15||Chicken Barbecue|
|Oct 31||Noon meeting:|
|Feb 17||Grant Management Seminar in WL|
|Mar 8-10||NCPETS in Rochester|
|Mar 24||District Training Assembly in Newton|
|Apr 12-14||District Conference @ 5 different locations|
|Jun 24-27||RI Convention in Toronto|