This Week’s Meeting (Feb 20, 2018)
- On Tuesday, February 20, we will meet at the community center at 6:00 p.m. Arnie Hart will speak about his recent experiences helping with hurricane relief in Texas.
- Food: sandwiches and potato chips. No charge. Leftovers from Saturday’s seminar.
Last Meeting (Feb 13, 2017)
- We attended the annual meeting of the WL Chamber of Commerce at Maria’s Mangolandia. Congratulations to Cindy Mays for being recognized as the Volunteer of the Year. Here are some photos, captured by Stephanie Martin:
- Message from Dana: There has been little activity on the Rotary side of donating to date. Please use the link below to see what others have donated, or are requesting to be donated. Remember, your donation can be a donation you get from a business. It doesn’t have to come out of your own pocket. Just a little time and effort by asking. This is the link to a Google spreadsheet that can be edited with your donations and denials: Gala Donations.
- Following is a summary of the discussions and decisions made at the board meeting of February 13:
- Josh Jackson, local technology consultant and owner of Shift9Labs, addressed the board about his upcoming trip to Tanzania to rectify and upgrade the technology at a hospital. Approved donation of $750 for the mission to Tanzania.
- Deb Lowman (WL Public Library) has used the list of program presenters Conrad gave her; she hopes to be able to continue marking books with names of program presenters.
- Tom Brooke led a discussion of our July fundraisers (Picnic in the Park and the Fair). Our fee for using the fairgrounds is $675. We need more club members to step up and work with Jim Carey, especially since Jim’s nephew Trey will no longer be available to help.
- Cindy Mays will reserve 6 spots for RYLA students from West Liberty. Jodi will send a check, and contact Erica Jennings for suggestions of students whom we should sponsor.
- Ethan will support any club member who would be willing to work on updating the club website. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Goals for 2017-18 were reviewed. Tomeka will enter goals for 2018-19 when she goes to training (PETS) next month in Rochester, MN.
- Sign up for at least one of the venues for the D6000 Conference, April 12-14. To register online, use the following link: online registration. To download and print a hard copy of the registration form, use this link: print form.
Looking for Volunteers
- The Early Learning Center (ELC) in West Liberty is looking for adult volunteers who are willing to spend an hour or two each week working with children in preschool and kindergarten. For more information, please contact Missy Johnson: email@example.com.
Mission to Tanzania
- Josh Jackson left on February 17 for Tanzania to provide technical support to a hospital; the hospital is part of a global network benefitting from outreach by medical students & staff from the University of Minnesota. See the following links: Selian Lutheran Hospital and GMER.
- Josh will make a video of his activities in Tanzania and bring back a report. [Note: Josh is the person who set up the live-streaming for our gubernatorial forum, which brought over 1100 people to our Facebook page to watch the video live, or within two days after the event.]
- Anti-Human Trafficking Community Awareness Event, February 24th, The Way in Newton. (Event time: 9:00 – 4:30)
- Link to the Facebook event page (for more information and to register): https://www.facebook.com/events/1984842205096956/
When you are responsible for arranging a program, please inform the club president at least one week in advance about the presenter and content of the program. The club president will then inform the editor of The Ringer.
|Programs and Events|
|Feb 17||Grant Management Seminar in WL|
|Feb 20||Arnie Hart will talk about his recent trip to Texas to help with hurricane relief.|
|Feb 27||Tim Putney (noon)|
|Mar 6||FFA students; Elisa (exchange student)|
|Mar 8-10||NCPETS in Rochester|
|Mar 13||Lawrence McNaul: presentation by Adam Reinhardt (Public Works) and Nick Heath (Parks & Rec)|
|Mar 20||WLHS National Honor Society Induction|
|Mar 24||District Training Assembly in Newton|
|Mar 27||Gretchen Nollman (noon)|
|Apr 3||Tommie Petersen|
|Apr 10||Joe Potts|
|Apr 12-14||District Conference @ 5 different locations|
|Apr 17||Bill Simon|
|Apr 24||Jodi Simon (noon)|
|May 1||Wayne Steen|
|May 8||Plan Gala|
|May 12||THE GALA|
|May 15||Mike Tharp|
|May 22||Ken Noble|
|May 29||Tom Brooke (noon)|
|Jun 5||Mary Pat Brooke|
|Jun 12||Tom Barr|
|Jun 19||Nancy Knight-Barr|
|Jun 24-27||RI Convention in Toronto|