This Week’s Meeting (May 15, 2018)
- On Tuesday, May 15, we will meet at 6:30 p.m. at West Liberty High School for Senior Awards Night. President Anna Hanson will present scholarships ($1000 each) from our club to two selected seniors. [This is a change from the previously announced time: the ceremony starts at 6:30, not 7:00.]
Last Meeting (May 8, 2018)
- Coach Jeff Wiele, Asst. Coach Ian Alke, and some members of the WLHS wrestling team spoke about their very successful season: only three team losses.
- Wiele was recognized as the 2A Coach of the Year by the Iowa Wrestling Coaches and Officials Association.
- Eight Comet wrestlers advanced to the state wrestling tournament: Talen Dengler (120), Will Esmoil (132), Coy Ruess (138), Joe Kelly (152), Austin Beaver (160), Jackson Gingerich (182), and Bryce Esmoil (195), and Kobe Simon (220). Bryce was state champion for the second year in a row.
- Coach Wiele recognized the team’s accomplishments, but was even more proud of the fine character exhibited by the young men on the team. Joe Kelly and other wrestlers attributed their success and character to the excellent leadership provided by their coaches.
- Wow! What a fun and successful event! Everyone worked hard, and it was worth it. Here are some photos of how it looked before the doors opened, then some of the fun during gala: from eating, drinking and bidding, to the entertainment provided by live haircuts given to Tom “Dog” Christensen and Darren Brooke. [When the bid for “Dog” reached $1200, someone suggested the Darren Brooke also join the haircut team. Darren agreed, on the condition that the bid was doubled … and so it was! $2400!]
- Here is a link to a folder of photos: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/168XOoRuzOgmWSHaJdGD9l7CaTcJPRA29?usp=sharing
- Here are some links to some of the action captured on video:
International Project: Wells for Haiti
- Last year we made a commitment to participate in a global grant project to drill water wells in Haiti. The grant has been approved, so now we will submit the $1000 contribution we promised.
- When you are responsible for arranging a program, please inform the club president at least one week in advance about the presenter and content of the program. The club president will then inform the editor of The Ringer.
|Programs and Events|
|May 8||Wrestlers & wrestling coaches will talk about their season|
|May 12||THE GALA|
|May 15||The meeting this evening: to attend the WLHS senior awards ceremony (6:30)|
|May 22||Ken Noble|
|May 29||Tom Brooke (noon)|
|Jun 5||Mary Pat Brooke. 80th Birthday Bash for Jim Conrey: Jim will provide pizza, cake & ice cream.|
|Jun 12||Tom Barr|
|Jun 26||Nancy Knight-Barr (noon)|
|Jun 24-27||_____||RI Convention in Toronto|
|July 3||No meeting. Happy Independence Day!|
|July 10||Fair prep|
|July 17||Fair prep|
|July 24||RAGBRAI prep?|