This Week’s Meeting (Oct 23, 2018)
- On Tuesday, October 23, we will meet at El Patio restaurant at 5:30 p.m. for a social evening. Each individual will order and pay for his/her own food.
Last Meeting (Oct 16, 2018)
- On October 16 we met at Kimberly Park and finished assembly of the playground equipment we bought with club funds and District 6000 funds. What a great afternoon & evening of fun and problem-solving! Ask Ken Noble about his suggestion for attaching the ladders to the posts …
- We will do our bi-annual cleanup of our two-mile stretch of Highway 6 on Saturday, October 20. Please volunteer to help! We will leave from the community center parking lot at 9:00 a.m.
- Call Bob Cline (319-541-2968) or Steve Hanson (319-930-9827; email@example.com) and let them know if you plan to help.
- Anybody (even neighbors and friends) can just show up at the community center parking lot on Saturday, October 20 and go out with us to pick up trash along the highway.
Shop With A Cop
- Our club donated $450 to the local Shop With A Cop (SWAC) program. The average amount spent per youngster last year in the WL SWAC shopping spree was $225.
Rotary Foundation Dinner
- The Rotary Foundation annual dinner will be held on Saturday, November 3 at the Sheraton hotel in West Des Moines. The cost is $50; here is a link to the registration form: Rotary Foundation Dinner. Carl Chinnery, a polio survivor and PDG District 6040, will be the featured speaker. All Rotarians are invited. We hope various members of our club will consider attending this fun event!
Stars on Stage
- The WLHS Show Choir is seeking volunteers to help with their annual show choir competition on February 2. As a perk for serving, volunteers receive free admission to any and all performances the entire day! Here is a link to sign up: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0444aead28abf94-2019.
Cocoa & Carols
- The annual Cocoa & Carols holiday concert at WLHS is scheduled for December 9. Our club serves punch and cookies at this event. All are asked to donate $10 or two dozen cookies.
Polio Eradication Update
- Here is a message from PDG Susan Herrick, who is chair of the D6000 PolioPlus Subcommittee:
World Polio Day is October 24 and affords all of us an opportunity to once again put the ongoing fight to eradicate polio before our clubs and our communities. Plan a special program for your club, put something in your local media and social media that draws attention to the fact that this deadly crippler is still in the world and will remain so until we finally put a stop to it once and for all. Engage your youth connections (RYE, RYLA, Interact) in this endeavor. Be sure to tune into the live streaming programs on the Rotary International website. And use all of these activities to promote the Ride to End Polio.
One of the easiest ways to reach your PolioPlus goal for the year is to become involved in the Ride to End Polio. The indoor ride will take place from November 10 through November 17. If you remember, last year’s D6000 team WON the International Indoor Ride to End Polio by raising over $8,000 and thereby was entered on the Harris Trophy at RI’s headquarters in Evanston, Ill. And this year we have set out fundraising goal at $16,000 and feel confident that we can once again take that International title! Here is all you have to do: Form a team of Rotarians and friends and family of Rotarians, hop on a stationary bike sometime during Ride to End Polio week (you individually must do your ride all in one sitting) and collect pledges for the number of minutes you are going to ride (we suggest $1.00/minute).
|Programs & Events|
|Oct 20||Highway cleanup. Meet at the community center at 9:00 a.m.|
|Oct 23||5:30 p.m. dinner at El Patio. Members pay their own meal. This is time to socialize with club members.|
|Oct 30||Noon meeting. Diana Broderson presenting on Prevent Child Abuse Iowa activities in Muscatine County. Ethan Anderson leading meeting.|
|Nov 6||Ranger Keith Hindman will make a presentation about national parks, with a focus on the Herbert Hoover historic site. Business/Board meeting following the regular meeting.|
|Nov 13||ANNUAL MEETING, followed by board meeting|
|Nov 20||No meeting due to Thanksgiving holiday.|
|Nov 27||Noon meeting. Dana Nelson will arrange program; Steve H. will lead meeting.|
|Dec 4||Jennifer Blair (past Rotary Ambassador) and Jim Peterson present about Tanzania water project.|
|Dec 9||Cocoa & Carols at WLHS. Concert starts at 2:00 p.m. We will serve cookies & punch.|
|Dec 11||Business/Board meeting|
|Dec 18||No meeting. Your Own Service On Your Own Time (YOSOYOT)|
|Dec 25||HOLIDAY – No Meeting|
|Jan 1||HOLIDAY – No Meeting|