Our club is taking a break from hosting the Chicken BBQ this fall. We are re-examining this event and considering alternatives that might improve it and align it with current health department expectations. Please thank your family members, colleagues and neighbors for their loyal support of this fundraiser for the past 50 years!
This Week’s Meeting (Oct 9, 2018)
- On Tuesday, October 9, District Governor Tom Narak and his wife Carol will visit our club and make a presentation. Meeting at the community center. Board members to meet at 4:30. Regular meeting starts at 6:00.
- A meal will be provided. Food available starting at 5:45.
- These are the dates for the installation of the playground equipment in Kimberly Park. [Recall that this is our community grant project.]
- On Saturday, October 13 we will meet at Kimberly Park at 8:00 a.m. to dig holes for the posts and fix them in place with cement. Bring shovels or post hole diggers!
- On Tuesday, October 16 we will have a work session at Kimberly Park at 4:00 p.m. This will replace our regular club meeting. We will assemble the equipment, put it in place and spread manufactured wood chips over the area.
- When the Rotary bench arrives, we will need to dig some holes and cement it in place.
- Jarrod Collins has already completed the landscaping and poured a sidewalk to connect the spot to the rest of the playground area.
Last Meeting (Oct 2, 2018)
- On October 2 we hosted a public forum. UI Professor Carolyn Colvin spoke about programs at the university that support first generation students and students from diverse backgrounds. She also led a discussion of a citizenship program that she leads in West Liberty, along with WL middle school teacher Dan Stevenson.
Polio Statue Fundraiser
- District 6000 has commissioned a statue by artist David Biehl to celebrate the commitment of Rotarians in our district to the mission of eradicating polio. Here is a link to a letter requesting funds for the statue: Bronze Polio Statue.
- We will do our bi-annual cleanup of our two-mile stretch of Highway 6 on Saturday, October 20. Please volunteer to help! We will leave from the community center parking lot at 9:00 a.m.
|Programs & Events|
|Oct 9||District Governor Tom Narak will make his official visit; he and Carol Narak will present the program. At 4:30 DG Narak will meet with the board; at 6:00 we begin the regular club meeting. Meal will be served at 5:45 p.m.|
|Oct 13||Meet at Kimberly Park at 8:00 a.m. to dig holes, insert poles and pour cement for the playground project. Bring shovels or post hole diggers!|
|Oct 16||Meet at Kimberly Park at 4:00 p.m. to assemble and finish installation of the playground equipment. This project replaces the regular meeting on this date.|
|Oct 20||Highway cleanup. Meet at the community center at 9:00 a.m.|
|Oct 23||SOCIAL or community service project?|
|Oct 30||Noon meeting. Diana Broderson presenting on Prevent Child Abuse Iowa activities in Muscatine County. Ethan Anderson leading meeting.|
|Nov 6||Ranger Keith Hindman will make a presentation about national parks, with a focus on the Herbert Hoover historic site. Business/Board meeting following the regular meeting.|
|Nov 13||ANNUAL MEETING|
|Nov 20||No meeting due to Thanksgiving holiday.|
|Nov 27||Noon meeting. Dana Nelson will arrange program; Steve H. will lead meeting.|
|Dec 4||Jennifer Blair (past Rotary Ambassador) and Jim Peterson present about Tanzania water project.|
|Dec 11||Business/Board meeting|
|Dec 18||No meeting – Your Own Service On Your Own Time|
|Dec 25||HOLIDAY – No Meeting|
|Jan 1||HOLIDAY – No Meeting|