This Week’s Meeting (Apr 23, 2019)
- On Tuesday, April 23, we will have a social event at the country club. Come around 5:45; bring a spouse/guest. Everyone orders and pays for their own food.
Last Meeting (Apr 16, 2019)
- There was no meeting on April 16 (YOSOYOT), but many club members did gather on Saturday (April 13) for a get-together with members of the Iowa City Downtown Rotary Club to enjoy grilled chicken.
- Thanks, Bob, Tommie, Catalina and Steve — and guest worker Juan — for helping with Highway Cleanup Spring 2019.
- A new message from D6000 Foundation Chair Chris Knapp:
The lack of access to clean water, sanitation facilities, and hygiene resources is one of the world’s biggest health problems – and one of the hardest to solve. Rotary has worked for decades to provide people with clean water by digging wells, laying pipes, providing filters, and installing sinks and toilets. But the biggest challenge has come after the hardware is installed. Too often, projects succeeded at first but eventually failed.
Rusted water pumps and dilapidated sanitation facilities are familiar sights in parts of Africa, South America, and South Asia – monuments to service projects that proved UNSUSTAINABLE.
That is why Rotary has shifted its focus over the past several years to emphasize education, collaboration and sustainability. Now TRF requires clubs and districts that apply for grants in other countries to show that local residents have developed a project plan that includes the above. In doing so, projects are successful.
Your contribution to TRF enables this to happen. Giving to the Foundation is easy – just go to rotary.org/donate, Thank you.
2018-19 Club Activities and Projects
- Click on the following link to read about the projects and activities our club has undertaken, as well as the financial support we have provided in 2018-19: http://rotaryclubwestliberty.org/activities/.
|Programs & Events|
|Apr 13||Trial Chicken BBQ at Fairgrounds (2:00 p.m.)|
|Apr 16||No meeting. Your Own Service On Your Own Time.|
|Apr 23||SOCIAL at the WL Country Club. Each member pays for own meal. Spouse/significant other welcome.|
|Apr 30||Meeting at 6:00 p.m. (not noon). Katalina Kutsch presenting about hydrocephalus and the awareness walk planned for September 2019.|
|May 2 – 4||District Conference at West Des Moines Sheraton|
|May 7||Serve meal to parents and students at ELC Health & Safety Night.|
|May 14||Attend Senior Awards Night at 6:30 at WLHS.|
|May 21||Your Own Service On Your Own Time|
|May 28||6:00 p.m. The Sasmazer family will report on their trip to Japan to visit their son, Evren, our club’s outbound exchange student.|