This Week’s Meeting (Apr 30, 2019)
- On Tuesday, April 30, we will meet at 6:00 p.m. at the community center. Katalina Kutsch will speak about hydrocephalus and the awareness walk planned for September 2019.
Last Meeting (Apr 23, 2019)
- We did not meet last week: it was Your Own Service On Your Own Time (YOSOYOT). What have you done lately for the community, or for any other groups to which you belong?
An Update from the Iowa Network Against Human Trafficking and Slavery
- Click on the following link for the most recent update: https://mailchi.mp/aeb3ee39ce65/iowa-legislative-final-push-and-other-news?e=ef5fd0fca5
- A new message from D6000 Foundation Chair Chris Knapp:
It takes more than installing sanitation facilities for a water and sanitation project to succeed in the long term. It’s also important to cultivate healthy habits. Good hygiene practices can reduce diseases such as cholera, dysentery, and pneumonia by nearly 50%. Washing hands with soap can save lives.
The Rotary Club of Box Hill Central, Victoria Australia, facilitates Operation Toilets, a program that builds toilets and delivers sanitation education to schools in developing countries including India and Ethiopia. The group constructs separate facilities for boys and girls to ensure privacy, and Rotary members teach students how to wash their hands with soap. Workers in each school are instructed in how to maintain the facilities.
In the Philippines, the Rotary Club of Puchong Centennial Malaysia sponsored several speakers to instruct students about oral hygiene, hand washing and the importance of frequent bathing. After each presentation, students were given kits that included toothbrushes, shampoo, soap, combs and other toiletries.
And in the United States, members from the Rotary Club of Ithaca in Ithaca, New York, visit schools within their district to instruct youngsters about the importance of handwashing and how to effectively wash their hands.
Your contribution to The Rotary Foundation enables this to happen. Giving to the Foundation is much easier – just go to rotary.org/donate. Thank you.
- Click on the following link for the latest polio eradication update: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EzxMbbfvDBZx1MZalMBq87Q56r-BeBZW4TKZwpVESbA/edit?usp=sharing
2018-19 Club Activities and Projects
- Click on the following link to read about the projects and activities our club has undertaken, as well as the financial support we have provided in 2018-19: http://rotaryclubwestliberty.org/activities/.
|Programs & Events|
|Apr 30||Meeting at 6:00 p.m. (not noon). Katalina Kutsch presenting about hydrocephalus and the awareness walk planned for September 2019.|
|May 2 – 4||District Conference at West Des Moines Sheraton|
|May 7||Serve meal to parents and students at ELC Health & Safety Night: 5:00-7:00 p.m. Board meeting at 7:00 p.m.|
|May 14||Attend Senior Awards Night at 6:30 at WLHS.|
|May 21||Your Own Service On Your Own Time|
|May 28||6:00 p.m. The Sasmazer family will report on their trip to Japan to visit their son, Evren, our club’s outbound exchange student.|
|June 1||Deadline for 2019-20 D6000 Community Service Grant application|
|June 1-5||Rotary International Convention in Hamburg, Germany|
|June 4||Deepak will arrange the speaker and lead the meeting.|
|June 25||Changeover Dinner and Meeting|