This Week’s Meeting (Feb 26, 2019)
- On Tuesday, February 26, we will meet at 12:00 noon at the community center. Principal Jeni Laughlin will speak about literacy activities.
Last Meeting (Feb 19, 2019)
- There was no formal meeting on February 19. Members were encouraged to spend the time in service to others: Your Own Service On Your Own Time (YOSOYOT).
- On January 30, 2019 all members of D6000 were sent an email encouraging them to complete a 3-question survey about our District 6000 Newsletter. To see the responses click the following link: newsletter survey.
- To read the latest edition of the district newsletter, or earlier editions, click the following link: district news.
- Registration is now open for the D6000 Conference, May 2-4. To register, click the following link: https://rotary6000.org/event/district-conference-2019/.
Rotary Peace Shirts
- Deadline to order is March 1.
- A new message from D6000 Foundation Chair Chris Knapp:
Go Organics aims to improve productivity and sustainability for farmers who cultivate less than five acres of crops, based on the belief that creating economic stability for small farmers will help cultivate peace. It works to improve the marketplace for these farmers and to provide simple and cost-effective technologies that helps improve operations. It offers farmers through microfinancing an affordable cold storage unit that will keep crops fresh up to ten days longer thus opening market opportunities. Go Organics also guarantees the sale of a certain amount of their produce. It introduced technologies to dry produce properly, to package them safely and to prevent the growth of mold.
The mission of Go Organics is to channel the work to those who are in need and to bring these people into the workforce. Small farms produce around 80% of the world’s food and make up 90% of the world’s 570 million farms. Leung says, “If we can raise their standard of living – its sustainability – we’re going to make a lot of changes the whole world – it’s going to be amazing.”
Your contribution to The Rotary Foundation enables this to happen. Thank you.
- Click on the following link for the latest polio eradication update: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1X_FEINBQ9TPRZLXJDswtxdzT0odCnzSWfUuddkDNSs8/edit?usp=sharing
|Programs & Events|
|Feb 26||Noon meeting. Principal Jeni Laughlin presenting about school literacy activities. Marian Hart leading meeting.|
|Mar 5||The executive director of Simpson Memorial Home will discuss plans for the new facility. Other topics: Medicare & Medicaid.|
|Mar 12||Brief club meeting. Board meeting follows.|
|Mar 14||WLHS National Honor Society Induction Ceremony|
|Mar 19||No meeting – Your Own Service On Your Own Time|
|Mar 26||Noon meeting. Iowa Corn Mobile Education Trailer. Gretchen leading meeting.|
|Mar 30||Visioning Activity at WLCC, 8:00-11:00 a.m.|