This Week’s Meeting (Jan 22, 2019)
- On Tuesday, January 22, we will meet at 5:30 p.m. at Jodi Kelly’s house: 1229 Country Heights Lane. Jodi and Gretchen are providing soup & sandwiches. This is a social event, to enjoy fellowship. This is a members-only event.
Last Meeting (Jan 15, 2019)
- Members of the WLHS Interact Club made a presentation. Pizza was provided for all present. Following the Interact presentation we had a board meeting.
Cub Scout Cake Auction
- Don’t forget: cub scout cake auction January 28 at 6:00 p.m. at First Church United.
Theme for 2019-20
- DGE Erna Morain sent out a copy of the Rotary theme for 2019-20: 2019-20 theme.
District Training Assembly
- On March 30th, 2019 at DMACC campus in Newton, the annual District Training Assembly will be offered. It is designed for club members, club Board members, and all others interested in becoming leaders in their clubs. There is no cost, and the information and help provided are very valuable.
- All members should take a guest to one or more of their Rotary Clubs meetings this Rotary year. D6000 will provide special recognition to all clubs who have had 100% of their members do so. Membership is very important for your club. Governor Tom Narak
- The grant management seminar schedule includes meetings at West Liberty Feb 16, West Des Moines Feb 23rd, and March 29th in Newton. In order to qualify to apply for a grant in 2019/2020, your club needs to have at least one of your club members attend one of the sessions. Please register today on the District website. Governor Tom Narak
- Here is the latest Foundation Minute from Chris Knapp, D6000 Foundation Chair:
Recently, The Rotary Foundation was inducted into University of Oxford’s Chancellor’s Court of Benefactors for it continuous support of the university. Since 1949 the foundation has provided scholarships to more than 200 Oxford scholars including a former American ambassador to the United Kingdom, a Pulitzer Prize winning author and investigative reporter with the New York Times, and a Director and Senior Fellow at the Ansari Africa Centre. For almost 70 years, this support has enabled students from around the world to benefit from all that Oxford has to offer.
Membership in the Court of Benefactors is conferred by the Chancellor on those who have been outstandingly generous towards the university. The Rotary Foundation joins a prestigious list of over 250 members including Thomson Reuters Foundation and The Skoll Foundation. The members are from around the globe whose significant contributions have assisted Oxford in being the world ‘s leading institution that it is today.
Your contribution to The Rotary Foundation enables this to happen. Thank you.
|Programs & Events|
|Jan 15||Interact will provide the program. Board meeting follows.|
|Jan 22||Soup & Sandwiches at Jodi Kelly’s house; co-hosted by Gretchen and Jodi.|
|Jan 28||Cub Scout Cake Auction: 6:00 p.m. at FCU|
|Jan 29||Noon Meeting. Jeni Laughlin, Principal at WL Elementary School, will present about literacy projects. Anna Hanson leading meeting.|
|Feb 5||Kirt Sickels will present a program about his work for Disabled American Veterans https://www.dav.org/learn-more/news/2018/iowa-navy-veteran-honored-for-career-serving-disabled-veterans/. Gretchen will lead the meeting.|
|Feb 12||Brief club meeting followed by Board meeting.|
|Feb 19||No meeting – Your Own Service On Your Own Time.|
|Feb 26||Noon meeting – Marian Hart in charge of program and leading meeting.|