This Week’s Meeting (Jan 29, 2019)
- On Tuesday, January 29, we will meet at 12:00 noon at the community center. Jeni Laughlin, Principal at WL Elementary School, will present about literacy projects. Anna Hanson is scheduled to lead the meeting.
Last Meeting (Jan 22, 2019)
- Our social evening at Jodi Kelly’s house was postponed due to inclement weather.
Cub Scout Cake Auction
- The Cub Scout cake auction is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. on Monday, January 28. They rely heavily on Rotarians showing up to bid and buy cakes. If you want to support our local cub scout pack, but you can’t attend the auction, contact Steve Hanson, let him how much you are willing to spend, and he will bid for you [319-930-9827 or firstname.lastname@example.org]. Any amount will help; the amount you pledge can be combined with others’ pledges and add up to a significant bid.
- The Elementary School is holding Literacy Night on February 7. Here is a message from Heather Brown, PTO president, about volunteer help they need that night:
- We are needing two people to dress up as The Cat In the Hat and read to kids in both English and Spanish.
- We are going to have six rooms in one hallway. Two rooms are going to be game rooms, two reading rooms and two craft rooms for making bookmarks. My husband and I are going to be making and passing out popcorn.
- We have volunteers from the PTO and also teachers helping with this event.
Feminine Care Products
- Marian, Anna, Tommie and Steve delivered some feminine care products to the high school nurse.
Global Grant for Ponseti Method
- A global grant application for funding to help support a Vocational Training Team (VTT) to provide training to medical professionals in the use of the Ponseti Method to treat children with clubfoot in several cities around Colombia, submitted by RC Bogota Centenario (D4281) and RC Iowa City A.M. (D6000), has been approved by The Rotary Foundation. The award is in the amount of $105,978.
Rotary Club of West Liberty in the News
- Click on the following link to see the full-page article and photo gallery about the recent activities of our club that was published in the Index: Index January 24. Thank you, Gretchen, for the great article!
Change in Venue for February 12 Meeting
- Our club meeting on February 12 will be to attend the WL Chamber of Commerce Annual Meeting at the Country Club. There will be a social hour from 5:00-6:00 (with beer, wine & treats) and a short program at 6:00 involving the presentation of awards. Board members will stay for a board meeting at 6:30.
D6000 Budget Report
- Here is a report for the 1st quarter (Jul-Sept) 2018-19 budget for Rotary District 6000: D6000 budget.
- Click on the following link for the latest polio eradication update: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dNINOErvLFsDnjgN9QUXL1O5j13IuR0eWHoVSmZyfjA/edit?usp=sharing
|Programs & Events|
|Jan 15||Interact will provide the program. Board meeting follows.|
|Jan 22||Soup & Sandwiches at Jodi Kelly’s house; co-hosted by Gretchen and Jodi.|
|Jan 28||Cub Scout Cake Auction: 6:00 p.m. at FCU|
|Jan 29||Noon meeting. Jeni Laughlin, Principal at WL Elementary School, will present about literacy projects. Anna Hanson leading meeting.|
|Feb 5||Kirt Sickels will present a program about his work for Disabled American Veterans https://www.dav.org/learn-more/news/2018/iowa-navy-veteran-honored-for-career-serving-disabled-veterans/. Gretchen will lead the meeting.|
|Feb 12||Attend Chamber annual meeting at Country Club: social from 5:00-6:00; awards at 6:00. Board meeting follows.|
|Feb 19||No meeting – Your Own Service On Your Own Time|
|Feb 26||Noon meeting – Marian Hart in charge of program and leading meeting.|
|Mar 5||Cliff McFerren to arrange program speaker.|
|Mar 12||Brief club meeting. Board meeting follows.|
|Mar 14||WLHS National Honor Society Induction Ceremony|
|Mar 19||No meeting – Your Own Service On Your Own Time|
|Mar 26||Noon meeting – Corn Association trailer. Gretchen leading meeting.|