This Week’s Meeting (Mar 12, 2019)
- On Tuesday, March 12, we will meet at 6:00 p.m. at the community center. During our meeting we will fill out congratulatory cards for the newest members of the WLHS National Honor Society who will be inducted on Thursday evening.
Last Meeting (Mar 5, 2019)
- Shelley Wicks, administrator of Simpson Memorial Home, spoke about future plans. See proposed project at this link: Simpson.
National Honor Society
- If you are in town on Thursday, please plan to attend the National Honor Society induction ceremony at 7:00 p.m. at WLHS. Lions and Rotarians will be there to congratulate the inductees on their accomplishment. After the ceremony, while we enjoy refreshments in the cafeteria, please circulate, introduce yourselves to the inductees, and congratulate them.
- On April 2, our club will host a public forum on the top health issues in Muscatine County. Gretchen and Bill K. are organizing.
Trial Chicken BBQ
- On Saturday, April 13, our club, together with the Iowa City Downtown club, will hold a trial chicken barbecue at the fairgrounds. In addition to fun and fellowship, we will learn about some alternate ways to cook chicken, in preparation for the chicken barbecue in October.
Visioning Session: RSVP
- Please sign up for the March 30 club visioning session: open the document at the following link, place your cursor in one of the cells and type your name: visioning signup. Or, if you prefer, contact Steve Hanson (email@example.com or 319-930-9827) and he will sign you up.
- Registration is now open for the D6000 Conference, May 2-4. To register, click the following link: https://rotary6000.org/event/district-conference-2019/.
- The food pantry is in need of the following items: soup, dried pinto beans, sugar, cooking oil, detergent (laundry & dish), toilet paper, tissues, sanitary napkins, deodorant.
Outbound Student Report
- Here is a report from Evren Sasmazer:
- February was generally pretty good. It’s since gotten warmer, but February was super cold. Spring is looking to be pretty nice here though. I spent a lot of time getting to know the Nabeshimas in February, and we’re certainly closer than before (although maybe not as close as I was with the Matsuzaki’s). My Japanese has seen considerable improvement, however the Chinese kanji are still a struggle, but from what many of my teachers have told me it seems like they never really stop being a struggle, even for Japanese people. … In March I’ll be pretty busy. My parents and brother have made arrangements to visit next week, I’ll be getting ready to take the ACT in Tokyo in April, and I’m giving a presentation on Shintoism sometime soon.
- Click on the following link for the latest polio eradication update: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1i0gBqSAiBcQK1GzAU_xAnPqn9H8RAOpSuSTc2XFhT40/edit?usp=sharing
|Programs & Events|
|Feb 26||Noon meeting – Jeni Laughlin presenting about school literacy activities. Marian Hart leading meeting.|
|Mar 5||The executive director of Simpson Memorial Home will discuss plans for the new facility and also discuss Medicare & Medicaid.|
|Mar 12||Brief club meeting. Board meeting follows.|
|Mar 14||WLHS National Honor Society Induction Ceremony|
|Mar 19||No meeting – Your Own Service On Your Own Time|
|Mar 26||Noon meeting – Iowa Corn Mobile Education Trailer. Gretchen leading meeting.|
|Mar 30||Visioning Activity at WLCC, 8:00-11:00 a.m.|
|Mar 30||District Training Assembly DMACC Campus Newton 9am – 1:30pm|
|Apr 2||Public Forum on Health. Gretchen and Bill K. coordinating forum.|
|Apr 9||One Rotary Summit Video with small group discussions. Board meeting follows.|
|Apr 13||Trial Chicken BBQ at Fairgrounds|
|Apr 16||No Meeting – Your Own Service On Your Own Time|