This Week’s Meeting (May 14, 2019)
- On Tuesday, May 14, we will attend the WLHS Senior Awards Night. Start time 6:30 p.m. President Tommie will present the two scholarships we have awarded.
Last Meeting (May 7, 2019)
- Members gathered at the Early Learning Center (ELC) for Health & Safety Night. We served brats & hotdogs, as well as fruit and chips. Thank you, Arnie Hart, for cutting all the fruit and cooking the brats and hotdogs!
Fresh Salmon from Alaska
- Order fresh salmon to support Rotary District 6000’s annual cleft lip and palate surgical mission to Guatemala. Details and order form available at https://iowamost.org/order-salmon/.
Casa Hogar Challenge
- Our club board has voted to match donations to Casa Hogar (children’s home in Manzanillo, Mexico) in the month of May. You give $100, the club gives $100 — up to a total cap of $1000 for club contributions.
- A new message from D6000 Foundation Chair Chris Knapp:
As of April 2019, nine cases of polio have been reported in the world specifically within the endemic countries of Pakistan and Afghanistan. Polio continues to spread in these countries due to the unchecked borders where movement of people threatens efforts to eradicate the disease.
The numbers of those affected have decreased dramatically since 2014, however polio is still found in the country. In response to that, the government of Pakistan has increased the number of manned permanent transit posts across the Pakistan/Afghanistan border where children can be vaccinated against the virus. Conflict, political insecurity and remoteness of areas, combined with a highly mobile population and logistical challenges are significant obstacles to Pakistan’s effort to eradicate polio.
The difficult geographical terrain in Afghanistan has been responsible for polio outbreaks. Areas of the country, which are home to nomads, seasonal and economic migrants and agricultural laborer families, make it hard for immunization teams to reach them.
Rotary along with the World Health Organization, UNICEF, and other NGOs continue their efforts to eradicate this dreadful disease. Your financial support will support them – until the battle is finished. Giving to the Foundation is much easier – just go to rotary.org/donate,
- Click on the following link for the latest polio eradication update: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Yoh7gx82o2TKtuqJ1zHjYMvD2Kyp0wIludLTVAHEF9E/edit?usp=sharing
2018-19 Club Activities and Projects
- Click on the following link to read about the projects and activities our club has undertaken, as well as the financial support we have provided in 2018-19: http://rotaryclubwestliberty.org/activities/.
|Programs & Events|
|May 2 – 4||District Conference at West Des Moines Sheraton|
|May 7||Serve meal to parents and students at ELC Health & Safety Night: 4:45-7:00 p.m. Board meeting at 7:00 p.m. at FCU.|
|May 14||Attend Senior Awards Night at 6:30 at WLHS.|
|May 21||Meet at 6:00 p.m. at Hoover Trail (walking/biking trail) behind the old Rohner building to pick up old tree limbs, sticks, trash, etc. Wear gloves, bring loppers, wire cutters, etc.|
|May 28||6:00 p.m. The Sasmazer family will report on their trip to Japan to visit their son, Evren, our club’s outbound exchange student.|
|June 1||Deadline for 2019-20 D6000 Community Service Grant application|
|June 1-5||Rotary International Convention in Hamburg, Germany|
|June 4||Deepak will arrange the speaker and lead the meeting.|
|June 25||Changeover Dinner and Meeting|