This Week’s Meeting (Nov 12, 2019)
- On Tuesday, November 12, we will meet at the community center at 6:00 p.m. Annual Meeting: we will elect two board members for 2020-22 and a president for 2021-22. Ethan and Bethany Anderson will present a program about their trip to Israel. Board meeting will follow; all club members are welcome to attend.
- On November 5, Mike Ruby came to talk about the Salvation Army of Muscatine County; he is on the board. They are thinking about possibly opening a satellite office in West Liberty. They would also like to deploy a red kettle (or kettles) in West Liberty. Marian and Jodi volunteered to organize volunteers for this season’s red kettle campaign in West Liberty; Bill Koellner will collect the donations each day. The Salvation Army of Muscatine County is also getting a giant steel kettle (8’ in diameter) and they need a trailer that can support the 2100-pound kettle, plus some people. If anyone knows of a good deal on a trailer, please let Mike Ruby know.
- Bill Koellner led a debriefing of the Fall Barbecue. Over all, we received many compliments. The pork was tasty; the beans were very good (thanks, Gretchen, for adding onions & bacon); people liked the Rice Crispy bars better than ice cream; but many people couldn’t taste the pineapple in the cole slaw. Some items to consider for next year: 1) packets of barbecue sauce for carryout or drive-thru; 2) review the recipe for the cole slaw (or buy from Jeff’s); 3) wrap the tortillas in foil and keep them warm; 4) don’t put food into the coffins (large coolers) too early; 5) mark each lid, insert and roaster so that they can be matched up after washing; 6) offer water in addition to coffee & lemonade; 7) assign Rotarians to circulate, engage people in conversation, and offer to fill drinks; 8) put a handout on the Four-Way Test or other Rotary information in the to-go bags. The Iowa City Downtown Club likes working with our club.
- We were also introduced to The Rotary Game.
West Liberty Foods
- If you missed the meeting with Tom Alberti, here is a link to the video he showed: https://youtu.be/p3fcSIa5wXQ.
Meals on Wheels
- Our club is responsible for Meals on Wheels in December. The following people have volunteered to deliver meals on the following dates:
- Dec 2 Tom Brooke
- Dec 4 Gretchen
- Dec 6 Tom Brooke
- Dec 9 Tom Brooke
- Dec 11 Gretchen
- Dec 13 Bill K
- Dec 16 Bill K
- Dec 18 Gretchen
- Dec 20 Katalina
- Dec 23 Bill K
- Dec 27 Marian
- Dec 30 Tom Brooke
- Recently our club delivered a donation of $500 to the Dream Catchers and a donation of $1000 to the elementary school for literacy activities.
- Here is the link to a spreadsheet for volunteers to sign up to help at the food pantry on Thursdays (6:00-7:00) or Saturdays (9:00-10:00). There are also spaces to sign up to help with Christmas boxes during the week of December 9. Click here to sign up to help.
- Casa Hogar is busy organizing their gala fundraiser: Casa Hogar.
- Click the following link for the latest foundation minute.
Polio Eradication Update
- Click on the following link for the latest polio eradication update.
- The ride to end polio: ride to end polio
Calendar of Programs and Events
- Click here to see the calendar of upcoming events: Programs and Events.