This Week’s Meeting (Sept 17, 2019)
- On Tuesday, September 17, we will meet at 6:00 p.m. at the community center. Evren Sasmazer will talk about his year abroad as an outbound exchange student in Japan. Two students will talk about their experiences at RYLA this past summer. WLHS softball players and coaches will be present and recognized for their outstanding season.
- On September 10, we met at the Regional Learning and Cultural Center for a tour and a briefing about the repairs and improvements that had been made.
- Mark your calendars and plan to attend our club’s progressive dinner on Saturday, September 21. Please RSVP at the following link: progressive dinner.
- There will be two D6000 Rotary Foundation events this year to celebrate the Foundation: one in Davenport (Nov 1) and one in West Des Moines (Nov 2). To register to attend either or both events, see the information at the following link: Foundation Dinner
Invitation from Katalina Kutsch
- I am looking for volunteers to help with the WALK to END Hydrocephalus that is coming up on Sunday, October 6. It is located at the Water Works Park in Des Moines which I know is a long drive for many of us, but I would appreciate any help but understand if you can’t make it! You can sign up by using the following link or by emailing me: https://www.volunteersignup.org/TH8EH. Things we need help with are:
- Set up (6am – 9am)
- Registration Check-In (8:30am – Noon)
- Registration Line Marshall (8:30 am – Noon)
- T-shirt Distribution (8:30am – 1pm)
- Food Table (11am – 1pm)
- Thank you. Katalina Kutsch (email@example.com)
Message from Warm Coats Chair Marian Hart
- The Club will once again participate in Operation Warm. Our donations will help provide warm winter coats for children and adults who might not otherwise have one. Committee Chair Marian Hart is once again asking each member to give $100 if they can. Any amount is appreciated. The Club is giving $1000 from our budget as we have in the past. The price of coats went up this year. First Church United and the United Methodist Church of WL have partnered with us in the past making it possible to serve as many people as possible. Thank you in advance.
Messages from Gretchen
- I would like to invite all Rotarians out to our community garden to take part in seeing the garden, as well as doing a little vegetable harvesting while there. I will be there for an hour at most, so come on out and join in the fun! Dates are as follows:
- Wednesdays: Sept 11th, 18th, 20th and 25th all at 6:15 p.m.
- Fridays: Sept 13th, 20th, and 27th all at 7:15 a.m.
- Our club is supporting the The WL Volunteer Action Committee (VAC) Food Pantry this year as part of the clubs 2019-2020 Community Service Grant (CSG). The food pantry is in need of the following items: chunky soup(s), beans of all kinds, sugar, flour, cooking oil, shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste, laundry and dish detergent. President Nollman would like to challenge Rotarians to bring an item every week to the club’s Tuesday meetings from now till the end of September. Contact Gretchen Nollman for more details of drop off or pick up needs.
Need Committee Chairs for Gala
- If you would like to volunteer to chair one of the Gala committees, please contact Gretchen and let her know. Details at Gala committee chairs.
- Click the following link for the latest Foundation Minute.
Polio Eradication Update
- Click on the following link for the latest polio eradication update.
- Click on this link for a history of the development of the polio vaccine.
Calendar of Programs and Events
- Click here to see the calendar of upcoming events: Programs and Events