This Week’s Meeting (Sept 24, 2019)
- On Tuesday, September 24, we will meet at 6:00 p.m. at Kimberly Park (at Wolf Lodge) with WL Parks & Rec.
- On September 14, Rotary volunteers, assisted by students earning service credits, operated two games at the Children’s Festival.
- On September 17,
- Coach Chad Libby and some members of the WLHS softball team made a short presentation about their season and thanked the community for their support.
- Doug Calvin was inducted into our club.
- Evren Sasmazer wore his school uniform from Japan and gave a report on his year as an outbound exchange student.
- Ahtziri Aragon gave a presentation about RYLA.
- Thanks, Cindy Mays and Ken Donnelly for the appetizers. Thank you, Bill & Jodi Simon, for the salads. Thanks, Steve & Anna Hanson, for the main course. धन्यवाद (Dhan’yavāda), Deepak & Amrita Giri for the deserts.
Welcome, New Members!
- A hearty Rotary welcome to new members Tim Evans and Jascinta Iske!
From the Pork BBQ Committee
- The October 13 Pulled Pork BBQ is planned and well on the way. The Iowa City Downtown Rotary Club and West Liberty Club are cooperating on a new menu this year: BBQ Pulled Pork served with gourmet Pineapple Salsa Slaw, Baked Beans and Tortillas and a delicious Rice Krispie treat for dessert. Both clubs again are working in a collaborative manner to serve a 900-people signature dinner at the Activity Center, Muscatine County Fairgrounds. The meal cost is $10 and we will serve from 11 am to 1 pm. Please see Tom Brooke if you need anymore tickets to sell and/or turn in ticket sales money too! The signup sheet for working shifts are as follows; we are asking Rotarians to sign up and work for a couple of hours: BBQ Signup Sheet.
- Here is a link to the BBQ ad in the Index: BBQ ad
Annual Meeting November 12
- We will hold our annual meeting on November 12, at which time we will elect a president for 2021-22 and two board directors. If you are interested in serving as president in 2021-22, contact Marian Hart, Tommie Petersen or Anna Hanson. If you are willing to serve on the board in 2020-21, contact Gretchen Nollman.
Walk to End Hydrocephalus, October 6
- Katalina is calling for volunteers to help with the Walk to End Hydrocephalus in Des Moines on October 6. You can sign up here or send an email message to Katalina: email@example.com.
Message from Warm Coats Chair Marian Hart
- The Club is donating $1000 to Operation Warm. Our donations will help provide warm winter coats for children and adults who might not otherwise have one. Committee Chair Marian Hart is once again asking each member to give $100, if they can. Any amount is appreciated. The deadline to donate is September 30.
Messages from Gretchen
- Every Tuesday at 5:00 p.m., I will be harvesting vegetables in the community garden. Come on out and join me in this effort that is supported by our D6000 community service grant.
- Community Service Grant Updates: A few club members helped harvest tomatoes and peppers before the last meeting. We are harvesting more vegetables than our local food pantry can use; some produce has been taken to Muscatine. A provider at the farmers market is also giving food; he will probably give corn, okra and green beans tomorrow night. The next “Christmas Box” meeting is scheduled for October 22. Christmas boxes will be distributed on December 13 & 14.
- The food pantry is in need of the following items: chunky soup(s), beans of all kinds, sugar, flour, cooking oil, shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste, laundry and dish detergent.
One More Committee Chair Needed for the Gala
- Wayne will serve as the chair of the Raffle Ticket Committee; Marian & Tommie will serve as co-chairs of the Auction Committee. The Event Committee does not yet have a chair; Anna Hanson has volunteered to serve on the committee, to help with food. Anyone interested in chairing the Event Committee please contact Gretchen Nollman. Details at Gala committee chairs.
Rotary Club of Decatur County Fundraiser
- The RCDC is selling Christmas wreaths wholesale to groups who want to sell them as a fundraiser. For details click the following link.
- Click the following link for the latest Foundation Minute.
Polio Eradication Update
- Here is a message from Susan Herrick about World Polio Day.
- Click on the following link for the latest polio eradication update.
Calendar of Programs and Events
- Click here to see the calendar of upcoming events: Programs and Events