This Week’s Meeting (September 22 , 2020)
- This Week’s Meeting (September 22, 2020)
- We will have the pleasure of listening to Dan Stevenson – Citizenship program. Dan Stevenson is a West Liberty Middle School teacher. He has a passion to help young people in school and in life. He manages the backpack program that assists young people to battle food insecurity with healthy food for weekends. Program recipients have exceeded 100 individuals over the years. Dan is very interested in West Liberty history and has written several chapters for a book that is used in the classrooms where he teaches history. Dan has become friends with many of his students’ families. Dan has joined with Dr. Carolyn Colvin, Professor at U of I in designing a program to assist and teach non-english speaking parents english, and instruct these same people who are not citizens to become citizens. Dan has selected several local individuals to assist him in the teaching process. Two of the many instructors are President Bill’s wife Jan who works with Dr. Nancy Gardener to teach citizenship information. So many have been successful in receiving citizenship. Nancy and Jan too have become close to the adult students and attend their citizenship ceremony. Again, Dan will enlighten Rotary on the progress of the program starting at 6pm
- Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 801 071 6532
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,8010716532#,,,,0#,,633647# US (Germantown)
+13126266799,,8010716532#,,,,0#,,633647# US (Chicago)
Dial by your location
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 801 071 6532
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kbfSfQu9b7
Last Week’s Meeting (September 8, 2020)
- Last week’s program was on The Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed, or ALICE program thru United Way of Muscatine by Shane Orr. Shane Orr is a lifelong Muscatine resident, as well as Shane is a member and past president of the Rotary Club of Muscatine. The program was very interesting for sure and really showed the poverty within our own community and county of Muscatine! You can read more by reading the United Way of Muscatine September Newsletter at this link.
Annual Pulled Pork BBQ Dinner Update:
- Our club’s annual Pulled Pork BBQ Dinner that normally takes place in the month of October has been cancelled this year due to the current situation of COVID-19 and trying to keep all safe and healthy during this time. We WILL be back in the fall of 2021!
Operation Warm Update
- It is time to start fundraising again for Operation Warm. Each year, Marian contributes $100 to this effort and challenges the rest of us to contribute. Funds are used to buy new winter coats that are distributed right here in West Liberty. If you make your check out to Operation Warm, your donation is tax deductible. If you wish to contribute, please give your check to Jodi Kelly (email@example.com).
- Our club is sorry to hear on the passing of fellow community members, Lamar Gene Miller and Robert Little this past week. Thoughts and prayers to their families.
One Rotary Summit….date set for D6000
- JOIN US..D6000 One Rotary Summit… Explore, Learn and Discuss how Rotary Opens Opportunities. Topics to be discussed are: Innovative Clubs, Diversity, Public Image. Don’t want to miss out!
Conflict Resolution & Management….date set for D6000
- Be on the look out for more details coming soon, but SAVE the DATE for November 19th to attend virtually a topic on Conflict Resolution and Management that D6000 will be putting on for anyone interested to attend.
CSG update for the Club
- The checks for our two District Community Service (DCS) Grant projects HAVE arrived!!!!!!!
- The first grant, we will purchase approximately 300 books ($5,000), in Spanish and English, to be rotated through the elementary school and the WL public library. Tom Strumpel is in charge of heading this project up, so if interested in helping with, please contact him.
- The second grant is for 14 trees (and signage), which will be planted at Dutton sports complex. Bill Koellner is coordinating with Nick Heath of the Park and Rec Department in West Liberty about ordering trees for delivery around September 21st, so be on the watch out more details to come for help to plant trees!
Rotary International Presidential Citation 19-20 Earned
- Our club received communication that the club has earned the Rotary Citation for 2019-20, the most significant award a Rotary club can achieve. During a year that was challenging for many Rotarians around the world, our club demonstrated a commitment to achieve our goals, which ultimately helps strengthen Rotary and shape our future. RI will send a link to the certificate to Gretchen in late September, so more details to come on that! Link
Do You Know your Rotarians?
- Be on the lookout going forward within the Ringer news that there will be a membership spotlight done on our fellow Rotarians…
The Fifth Test
- Rotary District 6000 Governor Steve Dakin will send out a weekly “5th Test” during the 2020-21 Rotary year. The 5th Test is added to the 4-way Test: 1) Is it the truth? 2) Is it fair to all concerned? 3) Will it build goodwill and better friendships? 4) Will it be beneficial to all concerned? … and #5: Is it fun? See the “5th Test” at this link for Week 11: 5th test.
The Foundation Minute
- Click the following link for the latest foundation minute.
WL Chamber Chat
- Please visit this link if you missed the Chamber Chat this week
Rotary Magazine Update
- Rotary Magazine can be delivered right to your E-Mail box if you choose, follow this link to sign up . https://my.rotary.org/en/node/18361
- Also note that if you are your spouse/partner are both members of our club, you were getting 2 copies of the Rotary Magazine, that will change effective January 1, 2021 to where your household will only receive 1 copy now.
Leadership Director for 20-21
- Please visit this link if you need any contact information or details from the Leadership Directory 20-21
- Anyone wanting something posted in the weekly ringer news please email Steve and Gretchen by Friday weekly.
Calendar of Programs and EventsClick here to see the calendar of upcoming events: Programs and Events.