This Week’s Meeting (September 29 , 2020)
- The Club’s speaker that evening will be, Susan Moritz Scharnberg, President of the Iowa Public Television (IPTV) Foundation – Value of PBS Scharnberg joined the (then named) Iowa Public Television Scharnberg joined the (then named) Iowa Public Television Foundation in 2001 while it was still in its infancy, created by the merger of several fundraising entities. The foundation is a separate, nonprofit, fundraising entity that aims to foster giving to Iowa PBS to support programming and local production.
- Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 801 071 6532
One tap mobile
+13017158592,,8010716532#,,,,0#,,633647# US (Germantown)
+13126266799,,8010716532#,,,,0#,,633647# US (Chicago)
Dial by your location
+1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
+1 312 626 6799 US (Chicago)
+1 646 558 8656 US (New York)
+1 253 215 8782 US (Tacoma)
+1 346 248 7799 US (Houston)
+1 669 900 9128 US (San Jose)
Meeting ID: 801 071 6532
Find your local number: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/kbfSfQu9b7
Last Week’s Meeting (September 22, 2020)
- Last week’s program was Dan Stevenson – Citizenship program Dan has joined with Dr. Carolyn Colvin, Professor at U of I in designing a program to assist and teach non-english speaking parents english, and instruct these same people who are not citizens to become citizens. Dan has selected several local individuals to assist him in the teaching process. Two of the many instructors are President Bill’s wife Jan who works with Dr. Nancy Gardener to teach citizenship information. So many have been successful in receiving citizenship.
Operation Warm Update
- It is time to start fundraising again for Operation Warm. Each year, Marian contributes $100 to this effort and challenges the rest of us to contribute. Funds are used to buy new winter coats that are distributed right here in West Liberty. This year’s distribution will be done at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, where Anna and Steve Hanson and Marian Hart will be heading up on whom will need coats and pick up times. If you make your check out to Operation Warm, your donation is tax deductible. If you wish to contribute, please give your check to Jodi Kelly (firstname.lastname@example.org) by the end of this week.
Toilet Paper donations…..
- It’s that time again to look forward to preparing for the annual Christmas Boxes that the WLVAC group organizes annually . This year looks different for sure, but we as Rotarians still get to have a part in helping. Our club will be collecting donations of toilet paper for the WLVAC group. If willing to make a donation on toilet paper let Bill Koellner and Gretchen Nollman know. Drop off location for toilet paper will be at Bill Koellner and Tom Brooke’s office located downtown. Marian Hart noted that the best price and qty is to go to COSTCO and pick up a 30 pack of toilet paper there. We are looking at needing/wanting to collect thru donations around 520 rolls of toilet paper!
Tree CSG update for the Club
- The second grant is for 14 trees (and signage), which will be planted at Dutton sports complex. Bill Koellner coordinated with Nick Heath of the Park and Rec Department in West Liberty ontrees for delivery this past week. Tree that were ordered were: 5 Cleveland Pears, 2 White Birch, 4 Brandywine Maples, 4 Red Sunset Maples, and a total of 14 trees. Be on the watchout for pictures.
Memorial Trees Ordered and Planted
- Memorial trees have been ordered, delivered and planted this week, so make sure to stop and take a look at these trees as well!
- Dorothy Carey memorial Tree – Redbud, will be planted at the West Liberty Community Center
- Karel Cline memorial Tree – Cleveland Pear, will be planted at the West Liberty Community Center
- Deepak Giri’s Father’s memorial tree – 2 Carolina Sweetheart Redbuds, one will be planted at the BP Giri Station and 1 will be planted at the West Liberty Community Center
Community Beautification…Let’s Spruce up WL!
- Save the date, on Saturday October 3rd, community beautification will take place in the way of sprucing up some areas around West Liberty. We will be teaming up with our Interact Club as well as our local WL FFA students and advisor to planting hostas, trimming trees/weeds and laying mulch down; around the community in the following areas: Front of WLHS (Outer area by library and around sign), Across the street from WLHS, gravel road leading to recycling center, Crystal Corner, as well as the corner of 2nd and Calhoun, If anyone is interested in helping please let Gretchen Nollman know.
Local WL FFA News
- If anyone is needing help with fall leaf and yard clean up, your local WL FFA group is willing to step in and help. Please contact advisor Zach Morris 319-415-8945 if interested.
One Rotary Summit….date set for D6000
- JOIN US..D6000 One Rotary Summit… Explore, Learn and Discuss how Rotary Opens Opportunities. Topics to be discussed are: Innovative Clubs, Diversity, Public Image. Don’t want to miss out!
Conflict Resolution & Management….date set for D6000
Be on the lookout for more details coming soon, but SAVE the DATE for November 19th to attend virtually a topic on Conflict Resolution and Management that D6000 will be putting on for anyone interested to attend.
Foundation Dinner Nov 7th, 2020- SAVE THE DATE!!!!!
- Don’t miss this unique opportunity to hear Holger Knaack, Rotary International President, speak live! Take a minute to pre-register now at this link:https://us02web.zoom.us/meeting/register/tZwrf-yopz0iH9f7w_gkIQMexC_G9jFROW3N
D6000 News – around Iowa – news from Another Club…
- “Yes, we need a little Christmas – Right this very minute” Have you ever wished for a fundraiser promotion that requires little effort but has high profit potential? The Rotary Club of Decatur County has a deal for you. See attached Flyer and email details
Do You Know your Rotarians?
- Be on the lookout going forward within the Ringer news that there will be a membership spotlight done on our fellow Rotarians…
The Fifth Test
- Rotary District 6000 Governor Steve Dakin will send out a weekly “5th Test” during the 2020-21 Rotary year. The 5th Test is added to the 4-way Test: 1) Is it the truth? 2) Is it fair to all concerned? 3) Will it build goodwill and better friendships? 4) Will it be beneficial to all concerned? … and #5: Is it fun? See the “5th Test” at this link for Week 11: 5th test.
The Foundation Minute
- Click the following link for the latest foundation minute.
Polio Eradication Update
- Click the following link for the latest Polio News
WL Chamber Chat
- Please visit this link if you missed the Chamber Chat this week
Rotary Magazine Update
- Rotary Magazine can be delivered right to your E-Mail box if you choose, follow this link to sign up . https://my.rotary.org/en/node/18361
- Also note that if your spouse/partner are both members of our club, you are getting 2 copies of the Rotary Magazine, that will change effective January 1, 2021 to where your household will only receive 1 copy now.
Leadership Director for 20-21
- Please visit this link if you need any contact information or details from the Leadership Directory 20-21
- Anyone wanting something posted in the weekly ringer news please email Steve and Gretchen by Thursday EOD weekly.
Calendar of Programs and Events
- Click here to see the calendar of upcoming events: Programs and Events.