This Week’s Meeting (Jan 28, 2020)
- On Tuesday, January 28, we will meet at 5:30 p.m. at the Country Club. In addition to eating, drinking and enjoying each others’ company, we will hear more about the upcoming Gala to be held in May.
- On January 21, we met at the community center and learned about the local cub scout pack from Hannah Potts.
- The 2020 Rotary Gala will take place on Saturday, May 10th. Our partner this year is the West Liberty Fine Arts Booster Club. Funds raised will be used to purchase a baby grand piano and instruments for the band students. Once again we are asking for your help as Rotarians! First, we need volunteers to help with each of our 3 committees: 1) Event Committee: Chairperson Cindy Mays; 2) Raffle Ticket Committee: Chairpersons Wayne Steen and Ken Donnelly; and 3) Auction Committee: Chairpersons Marian Hart and Tommie Peterson.
- Please contact the chairperson of the committee you are interested in joining, or come to the first Gala meeting at Tuesday’s Rotary meeting on January 28.
- At the last club board meeting, Bob Cline presented a proposal for our club to support a project to pay for construction of an addition to the walking/biking trail: a loop around the high school property that lies between the school and the depot. The board voted to set up an exploratory committee to look into this project. If you are interested in serving on this committee, please contact Bob Cline.
- Report by Gretchen
- On January 20, 2020, our club helped provide human trafficking education to our West Liberty Community School District (WLCSD) faculty and staff, where approximately 150 attendees, with other service organizations and local police, were present. Our club served donuts, fruit, coffee and juice before the presentation to those who attended. This was a presentation by Braking Traffik called “Any Kid Anywhere,” featuring sex trafficking survivors stories which shatters the myth that sex trafficking is just a big city or third world country crime. The presentation was a great success with positive feedback from the WLCSD faculty, as stated by Diego F. Giraldo, Superintendent, “It is essential to start with awareness and learning how to support our children, families, and community.”
- The PR Committee is creating a tri-fold brochure about our club and they need photos. If you have any photos to contribute, please send them to Tommie Petersen.
- Please complete the following survey by Gretchen: survey.
- Please see the following information about the Rotary Leadership Institute: RLI.
The Theme for 2020-21
- The Rotary International theme for 2020-21 has been announced!
Damage to Stand at Fairgrounds
- On January 15, our fair stand #1 suffered vandalism: broken windows and a fire extinguisher discharged. Gretchen has completed a police report and has requested an estimate for cleaning and repairs.
- Volunteers are needed to present Junior Achievement at West Liberty Elementary this spring! The spring semester is underway, and we need your help to positively change the future, one life at a time. It’s easy! JA provides you with training and a kit of materials. Each kit contains easy-to-follow speaking points and materials for hands-on learning activities. The programs require five classroom visits with lessons running 35-45 minutes per visit. The classroom visits are scheduled by the volunteer and educator in a way that works best for both.
- You can help a student find their calling. You can inspire tomorrows! Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 309.277.3902
- Click the following link for the latest foundation minute.
Polio Eradication Update
- Click on the following link for the latest polio eradication update.
- See the following message regarding Bill Gates: Bill Gates
- At the last club board meeting, our board voted to donate $150 toward the Polio Flight Around the World; the $150 includes $50 that the Interact club raised to help eradicate polio. For a story on this project, see Polio Flight KCRG.
Calendar of Programs and Events
- Click here to see the calendar of upcoming events: Programs and Events.