This Week’s Meeting (Mar 10, 2020)
- Meet at the community center at 5:30 p.m. for some fellowship and a light snack. The meeting will start at 6:00 p.m. The program will be presented by Deb Dunkhase from Iowa M.O.S.T. Board meeting will follow; all club members are invited.
- On March 3, we heard from members of the West Liberty Education Association (teachers union). Members of the WLHS FFA presented three events that they will present at State.
- The nurse at the elementary school needs volunteers on April 1,3,6 & 7 to help take kids from their classrooms to the mobile unit to get their eyes tested (Vision to Learn). See details at volunteers.
Recruitment & PR
- Our club meeting on March 31 will be a special one: we will host a Chamber PM. At such an event, an organization provides food and drink and shows the public what they are about. Please make plans to be in attendance that evening between 4:30 and 7:00!
Happy International Women’s Day
- See the following message from RI: International Women’s Day.
A Message from Gretchen
- Here is our plan for Kimberly Park playground project this spring.
- Once we hit April we will be looking at potential install dates. We are doing a COMMUNITY BUILD which means that we will have a supervisor from the playground company on site but we will need groups/organizations or anybody that would lend a hand over those 3-4 days. President Gretchen has asked that Rotary gets out on volunteer list to help with whatever they might need so she will have details closer to time. Thank you and have a great day!!
- The 2020 Rotary Gala will take place on Saturday, May 9th. These are the committee leaders:
- Event Committee: Rotary Chairpersons Cindy Mays & Gretchen Nollman
- Raffle Ticket Committee: Rotary Chairpersons Wayne Steen and Ken Donnelly
- Auction Committee: Rotary Chairpersons Marian Hart and Tommie Peterson.
- Ticket Update
- Wayne Steen HAS tickets for everyone and he has already distributed to Rotarians who were at last week’s meeting (March 3). He is following up with everyone else to get them their tickets this week.
- Turning in tickets: please bring tickets AND money EVERY week to ROTARY meetings so that they can be turned in to Jodi Kelly. If you cannot attend the meeting to turn tickets in, you may get a hold of Jodi Kelly to coordinate drop-off with her.
- Tickets being paid by check get made out to “Rotary Club of West Liberty.” For monetary donations that are being made, and would like a tax deductible receipt, details are: checks should be written to “D6000 HEF” and indicate on memo line that is for “West Liberty Gala.” AGAIN, all turned in to Jodi Kelly.
- Auction Update
- Auction Committee members (Marian & Tommie, Marci, Jessica, Jodi) have access to the donation spreadsheet. Please contact Marian or Tommie regarding any item you plan to donate, or any donations you are procuring for the silent auction. Coordinate with Marian to drop off donated items at her house.
WLCSD Fine Arts Calendar
- Mar 2: HS Band & Choir POPS Concert (7:00 p.m.)
- Mar 27: HS District Solo-Ensemble Festival (4:30 – 6:30 p.m.)
- Apr 2-4: WLHS Spring Play (7:00 p.m.)
- Apr 17-19: HS Music Dept. Chicago Performance Tour
- Apr 28: Tri-M Spring Recital (7:00 p.m.)
- May 5: HS Band & Choir Concert (7:00 p.m.)
- May 11 : JH Band Concert (7:00 p.m.)
- May 18: JH Choir Concert (7:00 p.m.)
- May 25: HS Band @ Memorial Day Ceremony (11:00 a.m.)
- May 31: HS Band @ Graduation (1:00 p.m.)
- RYLA: we are looking for a sponsorship for the cost of one student to RYLA: $450. The club is paying for two students and Wayne Steen is paying for one; we still need funding for the fourth student. Please contact Steve Hanson or Jodi Kelly if interested in sponsoring.
- Bob Cline, Gretchen Nollman, Tom Brooke, Ken Donnelly and Jim Keele attended the March 2nd school board meeting to make a presentation on the extension of the walking trail. The committee was invited back to the next school board meeting on Monday, March 16 to answer more questions. Any other club members are welcome to join the committee on March 16; please contact Bob Cline if you plan to attend.
- The deadline to apply for a scholarship from our club is April 3. Please encourage any WLHS senior you know to apply; we will give two scholarships, in the amount of $1000 each.
Public Forum on Vaping
- The Foundation Committee (Deepak Giri, Bill Koellner, Katalina Kutsch, Ken Noble and Jim Conrey) are working on putting details together on a spring public form on the issue of vaping. More details to come soon, so please keep an eye out. You may contact Bill or Deepak if you would like to help, or if you would like more details on the event plans.
- The WLHS National Honor Society induction ceremony will be held on March 26. Our club is providing cake and juice; contact Gretchen to volunteer to help serve cake.
Fairfield Rotary 100 Years
- Click here for information about attending the 100th Anniversary for the Rotary Club of Fairfield.
District Training Assembly
- The District Training Assembly will be held on Saturday, March 28 at the Newton DMACC campus. This training is especially for incoming club officers and board members, but every Rotarian is welcome to attend. Click here for more information
Rotary Leadership Institute
- Click here for information about the Rotary Leadership Institute, to be held on April 4: RLI.
- Save the date! The District Conference will be held June 25-27 at Prairie Meadows in Altoona.
- Click the following link for the latest foundation minute.
Polio Eradication Update
- Click on the following link for the latest polio eradication update.
Calendar of Programs and Events