This Week’s Meeting (Oct 2, 2018)
- On Tuesday, October 2, we will host a public forum at the community center. Start time: 6:30. Professor Carolyn Colvin, UI College of Education, will make a presentation about the local citizenship project and youth mentorship in West Liberty.
- On September 11, we had a short regular meeting, followed by a board meeting. On September 18, there was a service project planting trees along the trail.
- On Saturday, September 29, there was a progressive dinner for our club.
- The playground equipment has arrived and dates have been determined for installation in Kimberly Park. [Recall that this is our community grant project funded partially by a grant from D6000.]
- On Saturday, October 13 we will meet at Kimberly Park at 8:00 a.m. to dig holes for the posts and fix them in place with cement.
- On Tuesday, October 16 we will have a work session at Kimberly Park instead of a regular club meeting. We will assemble the equipment, put it in place and spread manufactured wood chips over the area.
- When the Rotary bench arrives, we will need to dig some holes and cement it in place.
- Jarrod Collins has already completed the landscaping and poured a sidewalk to connect the spot to the rest of the playground area.
- If you have chosen to contribute to Operation Warm, please bring your check to Tuesday’s meeting (the public forum). Make out your checks to “Operation Warm.”
Zone 28 & 29 Awards
- At the recent Rotary Zones 28 & 29 conference in Erie, Pennsylvania, Wayne Steen, representing the District 6000 Membership Committee, received the following awards:
- 3rd Place for Highest Retention in Zone 28
- 3rd Place for Highest Growth Percentage of Female Members in Zone 28
- Thanks, Wayne, for your work at the district level.
- Here is a link to a communication we received about the Xicotepec Project: Xicotepec.
Historical Film about West Liberty
- Here is a link to a film about West Liberty made sometime during 1952-53: https://youtu.be/1M76BFZ9K1A.
The Rotary Foundation: A Report on Gifts Given by WL Rotary Members
- Did you know the following facts about the donations some of our club members have made to the Rotary Foundation?
- We have one major donor at Level 1 (out of 69 in D6000).
- We have one major donor at Level 3 (out of 5 in D6000).
- We have one major donor at Level 4 (out of 2 in D6000).
- Here is a link to a report by Bill Koellner with more facts about donations to the Foundation: Rotary Foundation Giving (by Bill Koellner).
|Programs & Events|
|Sept 29||Progressive Dinner (appetizers start at 4:00 p.m.) to be hosted in the homes of several WL Rotarians.|
|Oct 1||Blood drive at FCU.|
|Oct 2||PUBLIC FORUM (6:30 p.m.) – Prof. Carolyn Colvin, UI College of Education presents the local Citizens Initiative Project and youth mentorship in West Liberty.|
|Oct 9||District Governor Tom Narak will make his official visit; he and Carol Narak will present the program. At 4:30 DG Narak will meet with the board; at 6:00 we begin the regular club meeting. Meal will be served at 5:45 p.m.|
|Oct 16||No meeting. Your own service on your own time (YOSOYOT).|
|Oct 23||SOCIAL or community service project?|
|Oct 30||Noon meeting. Diana Broderson presenting on Prevent Child Abuse Iowa activities in Muscatine County. Ethan Anderson leading meeting.|
|Nov 6||Ranger Keith Hindman will make a presentation about national parks, with a focus on the Herbert Hoover historic site. Business/Board meeting.|
|Nov 13||ANNUAL MEETING|