This Week’s Meeting (Oct 1, 2019)
- On Tuesday, October 1, we will meet at 6:00 p.m. at the WL Public Library for a tour by Deb Lowman.
- On September 24, we met at the enclosed shelter in Kimberly Park for a presentation by WL Parks & Rec director Nick Heath. Nick spoke about the successful playground project that raised over $220,000 and will be completed in the spring. He also answered many questions about his department’s activities and plans.
Fall Pork BBQ
- Don’t forget to sell tickets for the Fall BBQ. Here is the link to work at the event on October 13.
D6000 Quarterly Budget Report
- Click here to see the D6000 quarterly budget report.
- In a recent email to club members, President Gretchen provided a link to a spreadsheet for volunteers to sign up to help at the food pantry on Thursdays (6:00-7:00) or Saturdays (9:00-10:00). There are also spaces to sign up to help with Christmas boxes during the week of December 18. An average of 77 families visit the food pantry each month. Click here to sign up to help.
District Governor Visit
- DG Erna Morain will visit our club on October 15. Click on the following link to reserve a meal for yourself and guests: DG visit to WL.
Walk to End Hydrocephalus, October 6
- Katalina is calling for volunteers to help with the Walk to End Hydrocephalus in Des Moines on October 6. You can sign up here or send an email message to Katalina: email@example.com.
Message from Warm Coats Chair Marian Hart
- The Club is donating $1000 to Operation Warm. Our donations will help provide warm winter coats for children and adults who might not otherwise have one. Committee Chair Marian Hart is once again asking each member to give $100, if they can. Any amount is appreciated. The deadline to donate is September 30.
Messages from Gretchen
- Every Tuesday at 5:00 p.m., I will be harvesting vegetables in the community garden. Come on out and join me in this effort that is supported by our D6000 community service grant.
- Community Service Grant Updates: A few club members helped harvest tomatoes and peppers before the last meeting. We are harvesting more vegetables than our local food pantry can use; some produce has been taken to Muscatine. A provider at the farmers market is also giving food; he will probably give corn, okra and green beans tomorrow night. The next “Christmas Box” meeting is scheduled for October 22. Christmas boxes will be distributed on December 13 & 14.
- The food pantry is in need of the following items: chunky soup(s), beans of all kinds, sugar, flour, cooking oil, shampoo, toothbrushes, toothpaste, laundry and dish detergent.
One More Committee Chair Needed for the Gala
- Wayne will serve as the chair of the Raffle Ticket Committee; Marian & Tommie will serve as co-chairs of the Auction Committee. The Event Committee does not yet have a chair; Anna Hanson has volunteered to serve on the committee, to help with food. Anyone interested in chairing the Event Committee please contact Gretchen Nollman. Details at Gala committee chairs.
- Click the following link for the latest foundation minute.
Calendar of Programs and Events
- Click here to see the calendar of upcoming events: Programs and Events