This Week’s Meeting (May 7, 2019)
- On Tuesday, May 7, we will meet at 4:45 p.m. at the Early Learning Center (ELC) to serve food to parents and children who attend the Health & Safety Night. [We were going to attend a tour of the FFA greenhouse on May 7, but the FFA plant sale took place May 2-5, so there would be almost no plants left by May 7.] At 7:00 p.m. on May 7, our club board will meet at First Church United.
Last Meeting (April 30, 2019)
- Annie Vander Werff, Executive Director of Community Health Initiative, Haiti – Water for Life, and a member of a Rotary club in Waterloo, made a presentation about a water project in Haiti, to which our club contributed funds. See https://www.chihaiti.org for more information.
- Katalina Kutsch made a presentation about hydrocephalus and the awareness walk planned for October 6 in Des Moines. It was an excellent and very informative presentation. To find out more, and to register for the walk, go to support.hydroassoc.org/2019desmoinesWALK.
- John Ockenfels visited our meeting, along with a prospective new member, Yurico Martinez. Yurico, a graduate of West Liberty High School, lives in West Liberty and is a health professional.
- Two students have registered for RYLA: Ahtziri Aragon and Shantel Lopez.
Casa Hogar Challenge
- Our club board has voted to match donations to Casa Hogar (children’s home in Manzanillo, Mexico) in the month of May. You give $100, the club gives $100 — up to a total cap of $1000 for club contributions.
Cinco de Mayo Fundraiser
- Latinos Unidos are selling food in Ron-de-Voo Park on Sunday afternoon, May 5. Funds will be used for the next Fiesta Latina, to be held in September.
Report from our Outbound Exchange Student
- Evren Sasmazer recently sent the following report: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17OdmeNbZc6tFy1xoRvlUbITNLYCyVozNuS0oQSqNd0Y/edit?usp=sharing
- A new message from D6000 Foundation Chair Chris Knapp:
Rotary makes high-quality health care available to vulnerable mothers and children, so they can live longer and grow stronger. Rotarians work to access quality care, so mothers and children everywhere can have the same opportunities for a healthy future. An estimated 5.9 million children under the age of five die each year because of malnutrition, inadequate health care and poor sanitation – all of which can be prevented.
Haiti has the highest maternal and infant mortality rate of any country in the western hemisphere. Rotary provided a fully equipped medical jeep to volunteers and midwives to reach mothers and children in remote areas.
In Chennai, India, where there is a high mortality rate of women with breast and cervical cancer due to a late diagnosis, Rotarians provided a mobile cancer screening unit and awareness training.
And in Nigeria, Rotary members launched a $3 million, five -year pilot program to save the lives of mothers and children during home deliveries. Since 2005, they’ve also repaired 1,500 obstetric fistulas restoring dignity and hope to vulnerable mothers.
Your contribution to the Rotary Foundation enables this to happen. Giving to the Foundation is much easier – just go to rotary.org/donate. Thank you.
2018-19 Club Activities and Projects
- Click on the following link to read about the projects and activities our club has undertaken, as well as the financial support we have provided in 2018-19: http://rotaryclubwestliberty.org/activities/.
|Programs & Events|
|Apr 30||Meeting at 6:00 p.m. (not noon). Katalina Kutsch presenting about hydrocephalus and the awareness walk planned for September 2019.|
|May 2 – 4||District Conference at West Des Moines Sheraton|
|May 7||Serve meal to parents and students at ELC Health & Safety Night: 4:45-7:00 p.m. Board meeting at 7:00 p.m. at FCU.|
|May 14||Attend Senior Awards Night at 6:30 at WLHS.|
|May 21||Meet at 6:00 p.m. at Hoover Trail (walking/biking trail) behind the old Rohner building to pick up old tree limbs, sticks, trash, etc. Wear gloves, bring loppers, wire cutters, etc.|
|May 28||6:00 p.m. The Sasmazer family will report on their trip to Japan to visit their son, Evren, our club’s outbound exchange student.|
|June 1||Deadline for 2019-20 D6000 Community Service Grant application|
|June 1-5||Rotary International Convention in Hamburg, Germany|
|June 4||Deepak will arrange the speaker and lead the meeting.|
|June 25||Changeover Dinner and Meeting|