This Week’s Meeting (Feb 18, 2020)
- On Tuesday, February 18, we will meet at the community center at 6:00 p.m. The program will be presented by Dan Kramer, of the Iowa City A.M. club. A board meeting will follow; all club members are invited and welcome to attend.
- On February 11, we heard from the student councils of the middle school and the high school. The high school student council announced a blood drive on April 14; they are also working on a dance marathon, to be held sometime in late March. The middle school student council reported on their successful food drives, spirit week, their trip to the student council conference, and their tour of the capitol.
- The 2020 Rotary Gala will take place on Saturday, May 9th. Our partner this year is the West Liberty Fine Arts Booster Club. Funds raised will be used to purchase a baby grand piano and instruments for the band students. These are the committee leaders:
- Event Committee: Chairpersons Cindy Mays & Gretchen Nollman, together with Fine Arts Booster volunteers Lynne Sasmazer, Becky Vargas and Kathy Garrido. [The club PR Committee is working with the Event Committee to produce flyers and promotional materials.]
- Raffle Ticket Committee: Chairpersons Wayne Steen and Ken Donnelly; and
- Auction Committee: Chairpersons Marian Hart and Tommie Peterson, with assistance from Jodi Kelly and Fine Arts Booster volunteers Linley Heath, Cherie Lovell, Melissa Stagg and Jessica Madsen.
- Some of the prizes we are currently gathering for the raffle include: a trip to a warm destination, a 55” smart TV, an Apple watch, a Microsoft Surface tablet, and a gaming system. We will have lots of silent auction items and approximately ten live auction items.
- Watch for news and details through email, social media, the Index, the Muscatine Journal, Discover Muscatine, the Voice of Muscatine, the Press Citizen, and Hy-Veee Today in Muscatine.
- Ticket sales are scheduled to begin on March 1.
- The Reading Incentive program is in the planning stage. Cindy Mays and Marian Hart are currently working on a project to improve literacy in the elementary school, grades 1-5. They plan to create a calendar to keep track of reading minutes, set goals to win rewards, and locate groups, businesses, or individuals who will fund the prizes. The first suggestion is that we introduce to the teachers what we are doing and they can sign up their classroom to participate. If the goal is reached, we plan an all-class or all-school party. We are thinking of a movie, popcorn, and ice cream for the first round’s incentive. We will ask teachers for ideas on smaller prizes. Anyone interested in helping with this may contact Cindy or Marian. We need a creative name, so send us your ideas! To avoid confusion, please run ideas through our committee for consensus approval before taking any action on your own.
WLCSD Fine Arts Calendar
- Mar 2: HS Band & Choir POPS Concert (7:00 p.m.)
- Mar 27: HS District Solo-Ensemble Festival (4:30 – 6:30 p.m.)
- Apr 2-4: WLHS Spring Play (7:00 p.m.)
- Apr 17-19: HS Music Dept. Chicago Performance Tour
- Apr 28: Tri-M Spring Recital (7:00 p.m.)
- May 5: HS Band & Choir Concert (7:00 p.m.)
- May 11 : JH Band Concert (7:00 p.m.)
- May 18: JH Choir Concert (7:00 p.m.)
- May 25: HS Band @ Memorial Day Ceremony (11:00 a.m.)
- May 31: HS Band @ Graduation (1:00 p.m.)
District Training Assembly
- The District Training Assembly will be held on Saturday, March 28 at the Newton DMACC campus. This training is especially for incoming club officers and board members, but every Rotarian is welcome to attend. Click here for more information
Rotary Leadership Institute
- Click here for information about the Rotary Leadership Institute, to be held on April 4: RLI.
- Save the date! The District Conference will be held June 25-27 at Prairie Meadows in Altoona.
- At the following link, read about our club’s efforts to support the elimination of human trafficking: trafficking news.
- At the last club board meeting, Bob Cline presented a proposal for our club to support a project to pay for construction of an addition to the walking/biking trail: a loop around the high school property that lies between the school and the depot. The board voted to set up an exploratory committee to look into this project. If you are interested in serving on this committee, please contact Bob Cline.
- The PR Committee is creating a tri-fold brochure about our club and they need photos. If you have any photos to contribute, please send them to Tommie Petersen.
- Volunteers are needed to present Junior Achievement at West Liberty Elementary this spring! The spring semester is underway, and we need your help to positively change the future, one life at a time. It’s easy! JA provides you with training and a kit of materials. Each kit contains easy-to-follow speaking points and materials for hands-on learning activities. The programs require five classroom visits with lessons running 35-45 minutes per visit. The classroom visits are scheduled by the volunteer and educator in a way that works best for both.
- You can help a student find their calling. You can inspire tomorrows! Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org 309.277.3902
- Click the following link for the latest foundation minute.
Polio Eradication Update
- Click on the following link for the latest polio eradication update.
Calendar of Programs and Events
- Click here to see the calendar of upcoming events: Programs and Events.