This Week’s Meeting (Feb 25, 2020)
- On Tuesday, February 25, we will meet at Rock Valley Therapy at 6:00 p.m. for a tour and presentation.
- On February 18, we heard from Rotarian Dan Kramer, a member of the Iowa City A.M. club. Dan has retired, and is now offering his services as a life coach.
Mark Your Calendars
- On March 7, CYG will be holding their annual Pancake Breakfast at FCU from 7:00-11:00 a.m. Please come and support their cause. CYG
- The 2020 Rotary Gala will take place on Saturday, May 9th. These are the committee leaders:
- Event Committee: Rotary Chairpersons Cindy Mays & Gretchen Nollman
- Raffle Ticket Committee: Rotary Chairpersons Wayne Steen and Ken Donnelly
- Auction Committee: Rotary Chairpersons Marian Hart and Tommie Peterson.
- Ticket sales are scheduled to begin on March 1.
WLCSD Fine Arts Calendar
- Mar 2: HS Band & Choir POPS Concert (7:00 p.m.)
- Mar 27: HS District Solo-Ensemble Festival (4:30 – 6:30 p.m.)
- Apr 2-4: WLHS Spring Play (7:00 p.m.)
- Apr 17-19: HS Music Dept. Chicago Performance Tour
- Apr 28: Tri-M Spring Recital (7:00 p.m.)
- May 5: HS Band & Choir Concert (7:00 p.m.)
- May 11 : JH Band Concert (7:00 p.m.)
- May 18: JH Choir Concert (7:00 p.m.)
- May 25: HS Band @ Memorial Day Ceremony (11:00 a.m.)
- May 31: HS Band @ Graduation (1:00 p.m.)
District Training Assembly
- The District Training Assembly will be held on Saturday, March 28 at the Newton DMACC campus. This training is especially for incoming club officers and board members, but every Rotarian is welcome to attend. Click here for more information
- At the last club board meeting, Bob Cline presented a proposal for our club to support a project to pay for construction of an addition to the walking/biking trail: a loop around the high school property that lies between the school and the depot. The board voted to set up an exploratory committee to look into this project. If you are interested in serving on this committee, please contact Bob Cline.
News from Gretchen
- The Salvation Army of Muscatine County will be having a thank you dinner for the volunteers who rang the bell for the Red Kettle Campaign. Details are: Jingle Mingle on Thursday, March 12, 5:30-7:00 p.m. at the Salvation Army, 1100 Gregg St., Muscatine. They would like a representative from our West Liberty group to attend. If anyone from our club would like to go, please contact Marian or Gretchen. The Red Kettle Campaign in Muscatine County raised $189,307.06 this year.
- The Foundation Committee (Deepak Giri, Bill Koellner, Katalina Kutsch, Ken Noble and Jim Conrey) are working on putting details together on a spring public form on the issue of vaping. More details to come soon, so please keep an eye out. You may contact Bill or Deepak if you would like to help, or if you would like more details on the event plans.
- RYLA: we are looking for a sponsorship for the cost of one student to RYLA: $450. The club is paying for two students and Wayne Steen is paying for one; we still need funding for the fourth student.
- The deadline to apply for a scholarship from our club is April 3. Please encourage any WLHS senior you know to apply; we will give two scholarships, in the amount of $1000 each.
- The WLHS National Honor Society induction ceremony will be held on March 26. Our club is providing cake and juice; contact Gretchen to volunteer to help serve cake.
- Our club has asked Cliff McFerren to provide a quote for street banners, to replace the ones that were hanging downtown until recently.
- On Tuesday, March 31st, our club will be hosting the Chamber After Hours from 4:30-7:00 p.m. We will serve hamburgers, baked beans, chips and drink at the event. Contact Gretchen if you can help that evening with setup, etc. We will put together a presentation that will highlight some of our club projects over the last few years, as well as promote our upcoming Gala.
- Check out our club website (http://rotaryclubwestliberty.org/), under the “Current Projects” tab, to see what we have been up to this year.
Rotary Leadership Institute
- Click here for information about the Rotary Leadership Institute, to be held on April 4: RLI.
- Save the date! The District Conference will be held June 25-27 at Prairie Meadows in Altoona.
- Click the following link for the latest foundation minute.
Polio Eradication Update
- Click on the following link for the latest polio eradication update.
Calendar of Programs and Events
- Click here to see the calendar of upcoming events: Programs and Events.